Not that VH1 was ever super cool or anything, but they really screwed up this time, I think. They had a countdown on VH1 Classic titled “Women Who Rock”. Needless to say, I expected the word “rock” to mean something here. It seems it only meant what you mean when you tall a friend who just did something really cool “you rock!”. Because it opened up with Cher. It proceeded to cover Mariah Carey, the Go-Go’s, Madonna, Janet Jackson, and all other varieties of pop stars.
The only actual rock women featured were Heart and Joan Jett. Come on, people. When you say rock in a music environment, why don’t you mean it? There are plenty of awesome women who rock, but only pop stars were featured on the show.
Here’s the playlist from the show:
20. Cher – If I Can Turn Back Time
19. The Bangles – Manic Monday
18. Cyndi Lauper – Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
17. Mariah Carey – Emotions
16. Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This
15. Donna Summer – She Works Hard For The Money
14. Carly Simon – You’re So Vain
13. The Go-Gos – Our Lips Are Sealed
12. Blondie – Heart Of Glass
11. Stevie Nicks – Talk To Me
10. Janet Jackson – What Have You Done For Me Lately?
9. The Pretenders – Brass In Pocket
8. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts – I Love Rock And Roll
7. Diana Ross – Missing You
6. Pat Benatar – Love Is A Battlefield
5. Tina Turner – What’s Love Got To Do With It?
4. Heart – Barracuda
3. Aretha Franklin – Freeway Of Love
2. Whitney Houston – How Will I Know? / I Will Always Love You
1. Madonna – Like A Virgin/ Like A Prayer
Where are all the women who actually rock? Anyone? VH1? The title should have been “Women in Music” or something stupid like that.